How to make a self tape
There are a few things you need to do in order to stand out from the others. It's essential to follow a few simple rules below to succeed.
1. Choose a brightly lit room to record in, and make sure you're against a plain background- a white wall is best if possible. Unless you're told otherwise, you only need the head and shoulders in frame.
2. Get a friend to read in the lines and make sure they do not stand too close to the microphone so that it's clear whose voice is being used for the casting.
3. A Wobbly camera is extremely distracting and detracts from a good performance. If you don't have a tripod try a blob of blu-tak and a suitably high surface will do.
4. Make sure you film the scene in landscape not portrait. This is the number one error that self-tapers make.
5. Once you've finished, send the video to us using a file transfer service. We recommend wetransfer as it's free and easy to use. Just visit the website in your browser, type in your address, the recipient's address, attach the file and send.
Please do not upload the self tape to any other sites like YouTube or something similar as often the script will be confidential.